Free Screen Recording Tools and video editing software are very useful for elearning, presentations, and webinars. You might think a valuable tool like this would be hard to find for free – we found 16.
16 Free Screen Recording Tools
FFsplit is a lightweight utility that lets you capture videos from multiple sources and composite them into a live video feed. The feed can then be live-streamed and/or recorded locally using FFmpeg, or used as a webcam source using a DirectShow filter.
You never have to pay to use it. Ever. FFsplit is distributed as a freeware (possibly open source in the future)
FFsplit is highly optimized to give you the best performance so you can focus more on what’s important
Ease of Use
FFsplit is designed to let you easily create more professional and unique content as fast as possible
CamStudio is able to record all screen and audio activity on your computer and create industry-standard AVI video files and using its built-in SWF Producer can turn those AVIs into lean, mean, bandwidth-friendly Streaming Flash videos (SWFs)
Here are just a few ways you can use this software:
- You can use it to create demonstration videos for any software program
- Or how about creating a set of videos answering you’re most frequently asked questions?
- You can create video tutorials for school or college class
- You can use it to record a recurring problem with your computer so you can show technical support people
- You can use it to create video-based information products you can sell
- You can even use it to record new tricks and techniques you discover on your favorite software program before you forget them
Free Screen Recording Tools for Creating Screencasts. Easily create screencasts, edit recorded videos, and upload to YouTube with no watermark or time limits.
Record Your Screen
iSpring Free Cam provides a full set of features for creating professional video lessons and e-Learning presentations.
Fine-tune Your Videos
Use the tool’s built-in audio and video editor to turn your draft video into a well-rounded video lesson.
Share Videos Right Away
iSpring Free Cam allows you to save your screencast on your desktop or instantly share it on YouTube.
Ezvid Wikimaker is the world’s first artificially intelligent video creator. It’s the first video editor powered by voice synthesis. It also happens to be one of the most elegantly designed web content creation engines ever devised. Once you use Wikimaker, you won’t go back.
What Should I Use Wikimaker For?
- How-To Videos
- Informational Wikis
- Opinion Pieces
- Anything You Can Think Of
Free and open source software for video recording and live streaming. Download and start streaming quickly and easily on Windows, Mac or Linux.
- High-performance real-time video/audio capturing and mixing. Create scenes made up of multiple sources including window captures, images, text, browser windows, webcams, capture cards and more.
- Set up an unlimited number of scenes you can switch between seamlessly via custom transitions.
- Intuitive audio mixer with per-source filters such as noise gate, noise suppression, and gain. Take full control with VST plugin support.
- Powerful and easy to use configuration options. Add new Sources, duplicate existing ones, and adjust their properties effortlessly.
- Streamlined Settings panel gives you access to a wide array of configuration options to tweak every aspect of your broadcast or recording.
- Modular ‘Dock’ UI allows you to rearrange the layout exactly as you like. You can even pop out each individual Dock to its own window.
Who said that if you don’t pay much you can’t produce quality results? Fraps is a multi-purpose tool that goes beyond mere screen recording all the way to real-time video capture and benchmarking. Although Fraps mostly targets video game enthusiasts, it can be perfectly used for eLearning purposes as well. Free download.
Real-Time Video Capture
Not only does Fraps capture your video in real-time, but it also goes all the way to 7680×4800 with custom frame rates from 1 to 120 frames per second. That’s pretty impressive for a free tool right?
If you need to produce screen captures fast, there is nothing more annoying than having to paste what you captured into image processing software. Fraps eliminate the need for that and automatically names and timestamps your creation.
The Free Screen Recording Tools of Screencast-O-Matic is most appropriate for shorter videos and boasts a good range of features.
The free version limits you to 15-minute recordings and allows you to record both your screen and your webcam, so it can be easily used for recorded eLearning lessons. You can also upload and publish your creations to Youtube and also save them as video files.
If you want to produce screen or webcam recordings that have no watermarks and are longer, then you should definitely go for the Pro plan. The Pro plan also includes the ability to record computer audio, provides good editing tools, script recordings, draw, and zoom. It also enables you to publish directly to Google Drive, Vimeo, and Dropbox. The premium version is available at $15 per year.
Despite being a free version of a paid program, FlashBack Express won’t put ugly watermarks over your recordings or impose time limits, and it’s packed with features and tools that rival many premium programs. A free screen recorder with advanced features:
- Capture anywhere on your PC screen
- Add webcam footage to your screen recording
- Add audio commentary as you record
- Record movies with no watermarks
- No limits on movie length
- Easy sharing – upload to Youtube or download file
All-in-one design tool for everyone. PicPick is a full-featured Free Screen Recording Tool, Intuitive image editor, color picker, color palette, pixel ruler, protractor, crosshair, whiteboard and more.
Capture anything – Take screenshots of an entire screen, an active window, the scrolling windows and any specific region of your desktop, etc.
Edit your images – Annotate and highlight your images: text, arrows, shapes and more with the built-in image editor that includes the latest Ribbon style menu.
Enhance with effects – Easily add effects to your images: drop shadows, frames, watermarks, mosaic, motion blur, brightness control and more.
Share everywhere – Save, share, or send your images via Web, email, FTP, Dropbox, Google Drive, SkyDrive, Box, Evernote, Facebook, Twitter and more.
Graphics accessories – Variety of graphic design accessories including color picker, color palette, pixel ruler, protractor, crosshair, magnifier, whiteboard.
Customizable settings – With highly advanced settings, you can customize hotkeys, file naming, image quality, and many other options that fit your needs.
Bandicam is a free lightweight screen recorder for Windows that can capture anything on your PC screen as a high-quality video. Also, it makes it possible to record a certain area on a PC screen or capture a game that uses the DirectX/OpenGL/Vulkan graphics technologies.
Bandicam can record everything on your computer screen and save it as video files(AVI, MP4) or image files.
Bandicam makes it possible to record various 2D/3D games with 4K UHD Video and capture up to 144 FPS Video.
Bandicam allows you to record external video devices such as a webcam, Xbox/PlayStation, smartphone, IPTV, etc.
Free Screen Video Recorder is a compact, yet full-featured screen video recorder and screenshot capture tool that allows you to easily record screen activities and capture anything on the screen including windows, objects, menus, full screen, and rectangular regions.
You can choose to save captures to file, clipboard or print them out directly from the program window.
- Record screen activities including onscreen changes, speech from microphone, mouse movements
- Capture multiple windows and objects including multi-level menus
- Resize, crop and rotate output images
- Record your screen video to MP4 files
- Highlight your cursor path for clarity
- Record video with sound (from the microphone)
- Save in BMP, JPEG, GIF, TGA or PNG formats
- Run when Windows starts (optional)
Free Screen Video Recorder contains no spyware or adware. It’s clearly free and absolutely safe to install and run. Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, XP SP3
TinyTake is a free screen capture & video recording software for Microsoft Windows & Mac. With TinyTake, you can capture images and videos of your computer screen, add comments and share them with others in minutes. TinyTake is built by MangoApps – The Team Collaboration Software and Intranet Software Company and is available for free.
Simple, Free and Feature Rich
- Record a video of your screen (up to 120 minutes)
- Record a video using your webcam
- Capture a region, a window or entire screen
- Capture an image using your webcam
- Open, annotate and share an existing image
- Copy to clipboard or save it locally
- Store screenshots & videos in the cloud
- Share a link to the stored screenshot & video
- Zoom in / zoom out
- Assign custom short-cut keys
- Proxy server friendly
This free screen recorder is web-based, meaning you don’t have to download screencast software to your computer to do the recording. Instead, you just open this free online screen recorder in your web.
Export videos to MP4, WMV, AVI, FLV, MPEG, VOB, ASF and GIF
Record all types of activities on your screen including a video stream, self-demonstration, live chat and more.
Free Screen Recorder & Video Editor. Whether you want to record screen, gameplay or your webcam, GoPlay can help you easily achieve it.
Easily record every pixel of the screen.
Support all 3D/OpenGL and mobile games.
Easily record life moments.
Superb HD video quality gives you true-to-life images.
Meet Icecream Screen Recorder, a tool that enables you to capture any area of your screen either as a screenshot or a video file. The intuitive and easy-to-use software offers a complete suite of tools and options for professional screen capture with audio. With our screen recording software, you can record webinars, games and Skype videos in HD, and much more in a quick and hassle-free way.
ShareX is an open source app for capturing still screen grabs and recording videos. There are no watermarks or time limits to worry about, but the interface isn’t the most intuitive in the world so you’ll be best off using keyboard shortcuts. For quick reference, you can start a recording by tapping Shift + Print Screen, and stop it again using Ctrl + Shift + Print Screen.
You can also use this free screen recorder to save your capture as a GIF rather than a video file, which can be extremely useful for sharing on forums and social media.
Not only is ShareX a brilliant Free Screen Recording Tool, but it can also capture an entire scrolling webpage, capture and identify text via OCR, and even capture your screen according to a schedule.
Although this does list 16 resources for Free Screen Recording Tools, we understand we may have missed a few. Please send us feedback on these and others on our contact us page.